Acer’s Newest 2-in-1 Notebooks: Flexible and Fashionable Functionality
- Acer has expanded its Switch 10 series line with new 10.1-inch models featuring Intel® Atom™ quad core processors and appealing aesthetics
- The Red Dot award-winning Switch 10 E offers 6 eye-catching color options, up to 12 hours of battery life(1) and the magnetic and latch-less Acer Snap Hinge™ 2, a new guiding plane design for easy transition between four modes
- Inspired by the beautiful aesthetics of the popular Acer Aspire S7, the new Switch 10 SW5-015 is reinforced with a durable and elegant white Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 cover with a full HD display and keyboard dock
- Both models provide premium IPS displays protected by Gorilla Glass
- Ideal for students, frequent travelers and families wanting a thin and light device for enjoying productivity apps and entertainment on the go
“We’re excited to announce the expansion of our popular 2-in-1 notebook line with models offering more processing power and stylish new aesthetics,” said Jerry Kao, president of Acer Notebook Business Group. “This flexible and practical platform is ideal for taking notes in a classroom, working on a plane or playing games while watching TV on a sofa.”
Thin, lightweight and durable, the new Aspire Switch 10 E (SW3-013) and Switch 10 (SW5-015) were designed for taking to class, to work and on the road. They combine a full Microsoft Windows® 8.1-based notebook and tablet in one flexible device featuring a magnetic detachable design for latch-free docking and smooth transition between four modes. These include notebook for content creation and other productivity apps; pad for browsing the Internet, viewing movies, playing tablet games and taking notes; display for showcasing presentations in small meetings, sharing with friends and communicating via videoconference; and tent for watching movies and maximizing space in confined spaces, such as while traveling by plane or train.
Switch 10 E: Advanced Ergonomics l Long Battery Life l Color Options
The Red Dot award-winning Switch 10 E (SW3-013) features a second generation Acer Snap Hinge™ 2 with a guiding plane design for exceptionally smooth switching between modes. A low center of gravity combined with a keyboard dock that can be elevated up to 5 degrees, enables easier and more comfortable typing. Outfitted with a powerful 30Wh battery, the Switch 10 E provides up to 12 hours of battery life on just one charge, enough for working on a transcontinental flight or a full day of classes and homework.(1)
To suit customer’s unique preferences and style, the new Switch 10 E will be available in six eye-catching colors. It will also sport a sophisticated textile pattern on the top cover and underside that helps prevent scratches, while providing a stylish appearance and a better grip for easier carrying and transport. This model comes with dual 2MP cameras (front and rear) offering customers more flexibility.
The HD 1280 x 800 resolution display delivers clear and vibrant visuals and supports 10-finger multi-touch. It features the Acer VisionCare™ suite, which includes Acer BlueLightShield™ to reduce eye strain by decreasing the blue light emitted from the screen, and Acer LumiFlex™, which optimizes the output of the display under sunlight to provide better visibility. On select configurations, Acer Switch Lock™ provides built-in HDD protection to safeguard valuable data in the event the keyboard dock is lost or stolen.
Very thin and light, the Switch 10 E measures just 10.31– x 7.09- x .43-inches (262- x 180- x 10.95 millimeters) and weighs only 1.39 pounds (630 grams) in tablet mode. When attached to the accompanying keyboard with an optional hard drive, it measures 10.31- x 7.09- x 1.01-inches (262 x 180 x 25.75 millimeters) and weighs 2.82 pounds (1.28 kilograms).
Switch 10: Durable Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3-Reinforced Tablet l Full HD
The stylish Switch 10 (SW5-015) features a FHD 1920 x 1200 resolution screen with Zero Air Gap technology that displays sharp text and exceptionally crisp visuals, making photos, games and movies incredibly lifelike. Reinforced with an elegant white Gorilla Glass 3 back cover, the tablet is resilient and the silver gray keyboard dock is an aesthetically appealing match. In addition, customers can purchase the optional Acer Active Pen for this model, which supports both passive and active pen input without requiring a digitizer.
A 2.0MP front camera enables the impromptu capture of images and is capable of 1080p FHD audio/video recording for high-quality videoconferences with family, friends and associates. Outfitted with a 22Whr battery, it provides up to 7 hours of video playback.(1)
As a tablet, it measures only 10.29- x 6.97- x .35-inches (261.6- x 177.1- x 8.9- millimeters) and weighs just 1.31 pounds (0.6 kilograms). In notebook mode, it measures 10.29- x 6.97- x .93-inches (261.6- x 177.1 x 23.8 millimeters) and weighs 2.64 pounds (1.21 kilograms) with the keyboard dock that includes an optional hard drive.
Both Models: Quad-Core Processing l Premium IPS Display l Microsoft Office 365 Personal(3)
Powered by an Intel® Atom quad core processor and 2GB DDR3L memory, the new Switch 10 and 10 E models deliver ample power for essential computing, whether it’s catching up on email, completing school projects or enjoying casual entertainment.
The IPS screen provides wide viewing angles with accurate colors from edge to edge and Corning® Gorilla® Glass helps prevent damage and scratches. Acer LumiFlex™ automatically adjusts brightness and contrast to optimize screen visibility during outdoor activities, even in bright sunlight. For further protection, an anti-fingerprint coating reduces fingerprints and smudges, while making the display easier to clean.
A chicklet keyboard offers well-spaced keys and tactile feedback to increase typing comfort and speed. In addition, a Precision Touchpad supports six gestures and can distinguish between intentional finger gestures versus accidental contact. Dual front-facing stereo speakers deliver clear audio for videoconferencing, gaming and music.
Two USB 2.0 ports – one full sized and the other micro - enable connection to printers, external storage and other digital devices and a micro HDMI® port lets customers connect to a full-sized monitor for viewing movies and more on a bigger screen. Wireless connectivity is provided by Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11a/b/g/n.
The Switch 10 series comes with up to 64GB(4) eMMC local storage and keyboard docks with optional hard drives supporting up to 1TB (4). In addition, built-in Acer BYOC™ (5) means users can easily access and manage their data anywhere. Acer BYOC Apps offer real time information, data management, and data security across multiple devices for immediate synchronizing.
These models are pre-loaded with Windows 8.1 along with Microsoft Office 365 Personal(3) at no additional expense, allowing customers to leverage the benefits of Word, Excel and PowerPoint virtually anywhere.
Pricing and Availability
The Acer Aspire Switch 10 E (SW3-013) will be available in North America in mid-July with prices starting at US$279, in EMEA in May with prices starting at €299, and in China in April with prices starting at ¥2,499.
The Acer Aspire Switch 10 (SW5-015) will be available in North America in August with prices starting at US$399 and in EMEA in June with prices starting at €449. Details and pricing on the new Switch 11 will be available later this quarter.
Exact specifications, prices, and availability will vary by region. To find out about availability, product specifications and prices in specific markets, please contact your nearest Acer office or retailer via www.acer.com.
The new Aspire Switch series notebooks were unveiled today at the next@acer press event at 4 World Trade Center in New York, where the company announced its latest devices and solutions for families, students and professionals. For more information, visit acer.com/nextatacer.
1. Actual battery life varies depending on product specifications, computer settings and applications or features launched. All batteries’ maximum capacity diminishes with time and use.
2. Some hardware/software may limitations apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Your Internet Service Provider may charge you additional fees. Should customers decide to approach an Acer Service Center to perform the upgrade, Acer reserves the right to charge for the service provided. The free upgrade offer is valid only during the first year of Windows 10 availability.
3. Office 365 Personal 1 year activation required within limited time. Specifications vary depending on region.
4. Accessible capacity varies: (MB = 1 million bytes; GB = 1 billion bytes)
5. Acer BYOC is supported on Windows 7 and Windows 8 Desktop, Windows RT, Android 2.3 or later, and iOS 5.1 or later. To set up your personal Acer BYOC service, you'll need at least one PC and one mobile device with the Acer BYOC Apps installed and must designate one PC as your Personal Cloud Storage.
6. IDC FY2014